Red Jacket Community Library is seeking a self-motivated professional to be our full-time Library Assistant. This position is focused on assisting with Youth Services and reports to the Library Director. The Library Assistant is responsible for developing, planning and coordinating a variety of programs and services for children and teens.
The Red Jacket Community Library is a public library located in Shortsville, NY that shares a combined space and collection with the Manchester-Shortsville Central School District. The library is frequented by all ages, however daily attendance includes a particularly high number of patrons who represent the youth segment of the population. Experience working with youth is preferred. Comfort with computer software and virtual programming preferred.
Job Title: Library Assistant / Youth Services
Reports To: Red Jacket Community Library Director
Duties and Responsibilities:
A. General (apply to all staff)
- Understand, support and implement library policies, objectives and procedures.
- Project a positive image of the library, with a focus on providing good service.
- Work smoothly and cooperatively with the public and staff using courtesy, tact and good communication.
B. Technical Responsibilities
- Develop and implement programs, both in-person and virtual, for youth including:
- Infant and toddler programs, preschool story times, after-school programs and summer reading program.
- Outreach programs and partnerships with organizations such as UPK, local preschools and daycare.
- Programs for middle school age and young adults.
- Create displays, use posters and decorations in the children’s and young adult areas to foster a welcoming atmosphere and promote reading.
- Create and distribute promotional materials for youth programs.
- Work at the circulation desk.
- Other duties as assigned.
Graduation from High School or possession of a High School Equivalency Diploma and either:
- Possession of 60 credit hours from a regionally accredited or NYS registered college or university; or
- 2 years of full-time experience that includes direct service to the public in a public or academic library; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience as set by the limits of (1) and (2) above.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time, 35 hour per week position with a starting salary of $16/hr. Benefits include vacation time, sick time, and 13 paid holidays. Enrollment in NYS Retirement Plan available.
This is a civil service position and will be filled with a provisional appointment until the next eligible list is established. Qualified, interested parties should:
- Email a cover letter and resume to Andrea Tillinghast, Library Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the Ontario County application at the Civil Service Employment Portal: https://ontario-portal.mycivilservice.com/jobopps
Application materials are due May 1.