Friends of the Red Jacket Community Library
The Friends of RJCL raise funds for library programs and equipment, and provide volunteer support for programs and events. We have been actively supporting our community library since its founding in 1998. The Friends of the Red Jacket Community Library is a tax-exempt 501(c)3 organization. We operate under our approved Bylaws.
2020 Annual Meeting
Saturday, Nov. 14, 2020 at 2 p.m.
We will elect officers and board members. This year’s meeting will be held online via Zoom. Please email us for your virtual invitation.
Not a member yet? No problem! Join us today.
Meetings are usually the Second Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m. in the library. Check the events calendar for up-to-date information each month. All members of the community are welcome to the join us. Become a member at a meeting, or send in your membership form. Membership gives you:
- A voice in the decision-making process regarding Friends’ projects and spending.
- A vote in the annual elections of officers for the Friends, held in November.
- The opportunity to work with a great group of Friends while giving back to the community.
Get involved with a great group of Friends!
We are saddened by the loss of two dear Friends in 2020: President Ken Reeves and Vice President Mary Anne VanHanja. They are deeply missed.
How we support the Red Jacket Community Library
The Friends of RJCL have raised $50,000 over 21 years to support a wide range of programs and purchases.
Equipment and Supplies
We supplement the library budget with purchases of:
- ADA accessible door opener
- Cameras and a projector
- Computers and printers
- 3D printer
- Coffee maker for patrons
- Baby changing table
- Furniture purchases and refurbishing
- Picnic tables
- Shelving for books and DVDs
- Signs for events and promotions
- Rolling book cart
We fund a range of programs and activities for patrons of all ages, including:
- Concerts and music programs
- Storytellers, magicians and other activities
- License for public showing of movies
- Summer reading programs for children, teens and adults
- Transportation to the book fair
We provide matching funds for grants earned by the library, including:
- Libre Foundation grant – for books
- Gates Foundation grant – for computers
Recent fundraising project
We worked with the school library staff, community library staff, and a library designer to replace some of the library’s heavy tables and chairs with lightweight, stackable chairs and collapsible tables. This gives us more flexibility to meet patron needs by letting us easily reconfigure the rooms for different purposes.
With your help we updated two conference rooms:
- The “Fish Bowl” – the glass-enclosed classroom located in the children’s section
- The Langton Conference Room – aka the board room, located near the Elementary School entrance
Thank you for your support!
The Langton Conference Room – New collapsible tables
The “fish bowl” room – Before (above) and After (below)